Austria and America: Cross-Cultural Encounters 1933-1955
In planning publication of a volume, the University of Salzburg’s American Studies Department invites scholars from various disciplines including literature, cultural studies, history, transatlantic studies, theater studies, musicology and art history to submit articles (or proposals or queries) reflecting on America’s relationship with Austria between the end of the First Austrian Republic and the end of Austria’s U.S. occupation. Submissions might treat the following themes:
• Comparative imagology and representations of the American/Austrian Other in literature, film, song and other media
• Literary and political transatlantic relations involving Austria and the U.S.
• Issues of immigration and emigration
• Literary presentations of Austrian culture, politics, literature or psychoanalysis in the U.S.
• Mid-century English-language translations of Austrian literature
• Austrian authors on the American stage or in American film
• Images of Austria in the American imagination/ Images of America in the Austrian imagination
• American military fictions, film, or nonfictional texts set in Austria
Articles (50,000 characters maximum, MLA style) and queries can be sent, in English or German, to the editors by November 1, 2014:
Professor Dr. Ralph J. Poole
Dr. Joshua Parker