CALL FOR PAPERS
We take great pleasure in inviting you to participate in the International Scientific Conference – “MARITIME THEME IN LITERATURE” organized by the Philological Institute of Berdyansk State Pedagogical University and the Shevchenko Institute of Literature (National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine) in partnership with Research Institute of Slavonic and Comparative Literature Studies. The conference will be held on September 9th-10th, 2010 in Berdyansk (Ukraine).
Panel topics will include the following:
• early maritime literature
• sea, waves, storms, ships, etc. as symbols, metaphors, allegories
• maritime poetry as an artistic phenomenon
• the romantism of sea adventures in literature
• images of pirates and sea-robbers
• fantastic imagery in maritime literature (sea-monsters, mermaids etc.)
• images of seamen, navigators, discoverers, captains, sailors
• military topics in maritime literature
• shipwreck motif and survival literature
• island utopias and robinsonades
• ecological issues in maritime literature
• life of the seaside town in literature
• relations between sea and statehood in literature
• depiction of the sea in literature and painting, literature and music, literature and cinema, etc.
• maritime themes in mass media
You may propose your own topic for discussion.
Working languages of the Conference are Ukrainian, Russian, Byelorussian, Polish, Bulgarian and English.
Paper titles, abstracts of no more than 250 words (Times New Roman, font size – 12, line spacing – 1.5) and completed application forms should be sent electronically by June 30, 2010 to the Organizing Committee at the following email address: .
Approved participants will receive an informational letter until July 15, 2010. The Organizing Committee reserves the right to decline topics of those presentations that do not correspond to the subject of the Conference.
Regrettably, the Organizing Committee won't be able to cover any costs incurred by the participants.
Texts of the presentations (essays) will be published in annual academic collection “The Actual Issues of Slavonic Philology”.
The electronic and printed copies of the essays should be submitted to the Organizing Committee during the Conference or can be sent by e-mail no later than September 20, 2010. The estimated cost of the publication is 25 UAH or $3 per page.
Format of the essay:
• MS Word
• Font – Times New Roman
• Size – 14; line spacing – 1; margins – 2 cm.
• The essay can be up to 1 quire (40,000 characters) long.
• The file should be entitled with the author's surname and saved in the two formats .doc and .rtf.
• The author’s first name and surname should be indicated at the beginning of the essay in the upper right-hand corner; please, indicate your city and country in brackets here as well.
• Between the heading of the essay and the text, indicate summary (3–4 sentences), and key words in English.
• References to sources quoted are to be made in the text in square brackets. The first figure is the number of the source in the list of literature used, the second – the page number. The source and page numbers are separated with comma, numbers of sources – with semicolon, e.g.: [1, 95–96], [see: 2; 5; 7].
• The list of literature used is to be attached at the end of the essay, sources mentioned in alphabetic order; sources in Roman alphabet follow publications in Cyrillic. The list should be titled “LITERATURE”.
The essay should include:
• setting the general problem and its links to specific tasks;
• brief analysis of the latest researches in the field;
• statement of purpose;
• conclusions of the research work and prospects of further work in the respective direction.
For further information contact the Organizing Committee at the above mentioned email.
First name, surname
Scientific degree, rank, institutional affiliation
Contacts, postal address, phones, e-mail